Saturday, June 20, 2009

Why did it take two days to watch The Proposal?

Instead of working on my book proposal on Friday, I decided I should watch The Proposal at the local theater. It’s an advantage of being “underemployed.” During summer months and school holidays, I can watch new releases for less than I can rent them at Blockbusters.
The movie was great, until it happened. The screen went blank and the emergency lights flooded white light throughout the once darkened theater. On a normal day, it’s a bad thing when a room goes dark. In a movie theater, it’s a bad thing when the lights come on abruptly.
I mistakenly assumed there was a problem with the film. Maybe the projector (or whatever they use these days) broke? Maybe someone accidentally hit a button that made the movie stop?
A person made an announcement from the back of the theater. Stay seated and they’ll let us know what’s going on. I was busy texting my husband to let him know I would return home later from my mid-day movie than expected.
The next announcement reported the entire mall was out of power. We were given a rain check. There was no point waiting around for the situation to improve.
In addition to the mall, several traffic lights on the highway were out. Drivers were discombobulated by the police officers’ attempts to keep traffic flowing.
At home, the phone was out. I discovered the problem while trying to reach a doctor’s office, because my husband’s malady hasn’t improved. Thanks to my cell phone I reached a doctor’s office. The office, which is located behind the mall, offered no help. “Our power is out. I can’t access our appointment system,” the clerk told me. He was apologetic. Monday would be the earliest I could get medical help for my sweetie.
I returned to the theater today. The movie was worth the second trip, but I wondered why it took me two days to watch a 108-minute comedy. I checked the Del Rio News Herald for a story about the outage.  
What happened to create all the power outages? A wallet fell onto the floor of a driver’s car. According the newspaper, the driver (the one, who is supposed to be watching the road) decided to retrieve a wallet from the floor of his car. He drove into a guy wire, snapping a utility pole.  Thankfully, there were no reports of injury.  The small grass fires set off by sparks were quickly extinguished.
The driver was careless. His one action to grab that wallet (while driving) affected thousands of people. The impact on others was probably benign like it was in my case: missing a movie’s ending.
It’s a good reminder to me and other drivers that we all need to be more vigilant about our driving. Cars are not toys, but can be deadly. We need to simply drive while in our cars. We also need to wait until the car is stopped to pick up our fallen wallets.

2 comments:

  1. It's also a good reminder that a writer's one book can affect thousands. That's something to hold while you struggle to finish a manuscript!

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.