Thursday, July 2, 2009

A will is an important document

It will make you uncomfortable. It might even create a difficult conversation with your loved ones. But, it is worth your time. I'm talking about creating one of the most important documents in your life — a will.

Wills are important because they allow you to map out what you want done with your financial house when you leave this earth. For parents, it also is a vehicle to care for underage children and appoint guardians. 

My late husband Jimmy avoided the topic prior to a procedure which resulted in a catastrophic brain stem stroke. Once his health stabilized a bit, I discovered I couldn't even sell a lawn mower at our house. My hands were tied on several financial issues, because we did not properly plan before his medical procedure. 

Jimmy eventually was able to designate me as his power of attorney. With that important piece of paper, I was able to sort through our financial house. It took a while, but I eventually pushed my way through that dark, long tunnel. 

As a caregiver, I recognized my responsibility to plan for Jimmy. It was a happy day when my will was drawn up. I knew Jimmy would be cared for in my absence. 

I know it's a touchy subject. Some people just don't want to deal with the issue of their eventual death. For me, a will shows you love and respect your family. 

Today, there are multiple online resources for wills and a multitude of local attorneys willing to draft a will. It's easy and can give you peace of mind. I believe creating a will is one of the greatest ways to show your family that you love them. 

4 comments:

  1. With Michael Jackson's death, I've been thinking about wills lately. We have one, but have not looked at it in years. We need to do that. Check it to see what might need to be changed or updated. Thanks for the reminder.

    Helen
    Great post today on Straight From Hel! http://hub.tm/?GIPNT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recent celebrity deaths have certainly put a spotlight on wills. People with children at home really need to keep their wills up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder. One of the things on our To DO list is...update will. Has it happened, nope. Too much other "important" stuff to do. Mayeb know I'll get down to it.

    Best regards, Galen
    Imagineering Fiction Blog

    P.S. Got here via Helen Ginger's Tweet. See, I guess that stuff does work. Hoooray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twitter is a great way to let people know about things. thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.