Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A plethora of options

My mom's having neck and back surgery on Friday. I'm the "out of the loop" child since I'm more than 1,200 miles away from the family. I'll arrive in Georgia on Thursday afternoon and will hopefully get to see Mom before the surgeon does. Otherwise, she'll know we're in the same state, city and time zone.

Trying to help out, I thought about creating a site for Mom on the www.caringbridge.com Web site. I had heard about it. I found people with Locked-in Syndrome on the site. It's a great way to create a free site to allow friends and well wishers to check in on your progress during and after a surgery.

I was excited about the site until I noticed that on the right-hand side of the screen is a place to donate to Caring Bridge. I have never noticed this while looking for updates for other people, but it stopped me in my tracks while creating my mom's site.

My problem with it? Well, I feared people would think that my family is seeking donations for my mom. I worried (a trait directly passed down from my mother) that people might mistakenly make a donation to Caring Bridge thinking it was for my mother. I understand why Caring Bridge seeks donations. It is a fabulous site.

I created the site and passed it along to my Mom and Dad for their perusal. I added a note about the donation function. They also did not like this.

I couldn't figure out how to remove the donation material, so I deactivated the site for my mom.

I wanted to use the Caring Bridge site, because it seemed like an easy way to keep everyone updated. Now, we'll regroup using phones, e-mail and Facebook to update friends and family about Mom's progress. We fortunately have a variety of ways to keep in touch with people. We can do all of this from our iPhones, too.

I will continue to use the Caring Bridge to keep up with people. I think it's a wonderful site. It just wasn't right for my family this time.

How do you stay in touch with people after a surgery or illness? Do you know of any sites I should check out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.