Thursday, December 31, 2009

A new year on the horizon

It's New Year's Eve and we're on the edge of a new decade. Looking back -- 2009 was a tough year for healthcare issues. Some form of health reform passed, but still has to be conferenced into a workable bill for the president to sign in 2010.

I haven't read the proposed bills. From the sounds of it, most congressmen haven't done this either. So, I can't tell whether I am in good or bad company on this issue.

I know many people hate the idea of healthcare reform. The debate on the issue has really fallen into a dark pit (to put it nicely). The townhalls on the issue turned into violent shouting matches. My friend Rick sent me a nice commentary piece on the reform topic, which talked about how many of the arguments against past government improvements were being recycled in the 2009 debate.

When my husband Andy tore out the old metal cabinets in our 1940s era kitchen, he discovered a newspaper from 1958. It was apparently the year of the last remodel. The newspaper had an article about health care reform of that day. There was talk about Medicare and the Veterans Administration system. The article shared concerns by physicians and politicians that the proposed changes would created a socialized medical system and would be bad for America. I would share more details, but the newspaper yellowed from decades fell apart.

I'm not sure how the bill will impact us in 2010, but I'm looking forward to finding out. I'm going to keep an open mind about it and hope others will too. I won't be afraid to speak out about problems I have with it, but I also want to give it a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.