Friday, February 19, 2010

Why I write?

This week, the Creative Writers of Del Rio did a "quick write" about why we each write. The group formed a year ago after a new resident Diane Stroud discovered she missed her writer's group in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico.

She gathered writers one by one. Today, Diane has moved on to cooler climates, but her legacy remains on Wednesdays as now up to 14 writers gather to share their current works in progress or just a frustration or two about a computer glitch.

While my writing projects have been scattered and undisciplined in recent months, I'm really glad that Walt asked us to think about this.

In a few minutes, I came up with this list of Why I Write, which chronicles bits and pieces of my writing career:
  • I write for food.
  • I write to persuade public opinion.
  • I write to help people!
  • I write for release — to put an experience on paper and get it out of my head.
  • I write for purpose — to focus on one story, one day and one year.
  • I write to think new thoughts.
  • I write to share my opinion.
  • I write to challenge myself to do something different and to think something different.
  • I will write for food.
So, why do you write?


4 comments:

  1. I write to let my friends know what I am doing and keep people who want to contact me in the know.

    Love your writing..

    Check out my blog.
    http://life-in-boston.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think people enjoy being able to keep up with their friends. With today's hectic schedules, it's nice to stay in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of writing for food, I was thinking of putting out a sign when I'm at a coffee shop, "Will write for Lattes".
    I figure I could write 500 words per latte. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the "Will write for Lattes" and the 500 word estimate per latte. I don't think I could get the same mileage from a candy bar.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.