Monday, January 24, 2011

Cooking for my baby


I'm not the family chef. That's my husband.

I have tried recently to cook for my son. He's still eating the pureed food. I have a tiny "Today Show" problem i.e. I watch too much of it.  One of my Today Show finds was Baby Love. I saw the interview with Norah O' Donnell and Chef Geoff Tracy. The wife (a reporter) and the hubby (a chef) created a cookbook of food for your baby.

I ordered the book almost immediately. I'm apparently old school, because I never dreamed of looking for a Web site until I sat down to write this. There are several recipes available online.

I bought fruits and vegetables right away. I cooked and messed up almost immediately.

The carrot recipe was simple, but I seemed to have made a mistake on my cooking time. They weren't as smooth as I would have liked them to be. I later used them in a meatloaf recipe from Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious.

I also tried a broccoli recipe, but then wavered about the use of milk. Then, I realized the recipe was for a child about two months older than my son. Seriously, I'm not a sleep-deprived mom. I should have noticed this. 


I made the basic apple recipe. I made the apple and blueberries recipe. I discovered I can rock the applesauce. I was successful with the butternut squash recipe too, but decided I would wait a few more months before I worked on anymore vegetable recipes.

I believe there are a lot of baby food recipes available online for free. I like making my son's food, because I know exactly what goes in it. It's easy — just a few basic ingredients. It also costs a whole lot less. I don't have those tiny glass jars or plastic containers to recycle after he eats either.

Since I make his fruit dishes, I buy jars of organic vegetables and meat/vegetable combos. I know it's time to work on my vegetable skills, because I saw carrots on sale the other day and commented:  "Gosh, I could buy two pounds for less than two jars of baby food carrots."

It takes me more time than the Baby Love authors to do the work, but I think it's because I'm a little disorganized. The book details that organization is key. While Chef Tracy uses a melon baller to speed up his work, I use one of those apple-slice gadgets.
If I use organic apples, I just wash them, slice them with this thing (you still need to ensure the seeds are removed) and throw them in the pot.

On Monday, I made two batches of applesauce after I threw a lasagna in the oven. I survived. My family survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.