Friday, January 7, 2011

New representative says it best

I don't want the health care reform law repealed.

It has nothing to do with the federal deficit. It has nothing to do with my politics — liberal, conservative or in between.

I believe that we all pay for health care costs. We pay into Medicare when we work. Our state and federal resources (our tax dollars) pay for Medicaid. Our insurance premiums are impacted by our co-worker's husband's medical crisis. The non-insured also influence our premiums. When the non-insured don't pay for medical services they receive, those costs are passed along to those who have insurance.

I know many Congressmen and Senators hated the health care bill that passed. Citizens did too. I know that the bill in its current form is less than ideal, but it is something.

I wish congressional leaders would use their energy to make a more workable bill instead of trying to kill it completely.

The theatrics of it all make me angry as people's lives are at stake. It's not being dramatic to say that. It's just a fact.

I read a story on Huffington Post by Jason Linkins which mentions that Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) is trying to get those opposed to health care reform to drop their government health insurance.

Freshman Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.) said the bill needs to be repealed because it’s “an economy-crushing, job-killing bill.”

Linkins noted the response from Grimm on the call by Schumer to drop government health care was pretty clear:

“What am I, not supposed to have health care?” he said. “It’s practicality. I’m not going to become a burden for the state because I don’t have health care, and God forbid I get into an accident and I can’t afford the operation. That can happen to anyone.”

I think Rep. Grimm candidly explained the need for health care reform. Too bad he plans to vote to repeal it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.