Saturday, January 29, 2011

What do you say? Are there any words?

I know two caregivers who lost a spouse this week. I feel for both the women. I have been there. I pray both will find comfort during this time of grief.

Each will have to figure out what to do with her days like so many before them. For many years now, both their lives have revolved around nursing home visits, illnesses and emergencies. Their nights will most likely remain the same. Each had become accustomed to living alone without her spouse.

One major change is there will be no planning the next day around a visit to the nursing home. The immediate days following a loved one's death are busy. The most challenging day is the one after all the activity ends and everyone leaves. The caregiver is left to find a new normal.

Losing a loved one is difficult. Everyone deals with the loss in his or her own way.

I never really know what to say, but know that when I lost a loved one — the words people managed to say did comfort me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.