Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thankful Thursday: The First Amendment

I don't really want to talk about this.

I don't like what this Kansas church does. They use funerals of solders to share their message. There is yelling, singing and lots of signs with messages I won't repeat. Their behavior was so hurtful to one grieving father that he sued them. The church took the case to the U.S. Supreme Court. The court said 8-1 the church had a right to promote their views on war.

I hate to see reports that this church and its members appear at a funeral. I don't even want to say the church's name.

I believe in the First Amendment.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
 I understand it protects their right to do what they do. I may not like the church or its actions, but I am thankful for the First Amendment and to those who saw the need for it in our nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.