Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What 700 emails taught me

Recently, I visited family in Georgia for a week. My son and I had a fun time. He met plenty of cousins, great aunts and grandma's friends. As my father said, "There will be baby viewings daily." And, there were.

I didn't anticipate time to write during the trip.

My inbox surprised me though. Despite my efforts to keep in touch via the iPhone, I accumulated more than 700 emails. I deleted some emails during the trip, but others were kept to take a closer look at when I had time to read blog posts on a larger computer screen.

While reviewing a week's worth of emails, I discovered:
  • I can live without 30 of those email subscriptions being delivered to my inbox daily. I canceled them.
  • I need to use my Google Reader more. It would streamline my reading process.
  • I don't need to keep most of the emails that I do. I should read, digest and trash them. Recently, I deleted about 45 percent of my email files. While it was purely a stupid mistake, I survived. Since then, I question do I really need this file before labeling and archiving it in my mailbox. 
  • I spend a lot of time reading about writing, instead of writing. 
Ouch. That last one hurt.

I'll end on that note, so we can all return to our writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.