Monday, April 11, 2011

You can find it in bookstores

That's what I told my friends and family recently. "You can find it in bookstores." I just had to say it, because well, sometimes, you wonder if you'll ever be able to say it (or ever say it again).

I wrote a story last spring for my writer's group in Del Rio, Texas. I looked up topics on the Chicken Soup for the Soul website. I wrote about my dog Eddie. I read it to the Del Rio Creative Writers at one Wednesday meeting. I revised it and submitted it by the weekend.

Then, in May, on my birthday and one day after my son's birth, I received an email saying my submission was being considered for publication. Now, on April 12, you or I can find Chicken Soup for the Soul: My Dog's Life with my essay in a bookstore or on Amazon.

There are 101 stories inside — funny, fuzzy, sad and kind stories about how dogs play a role in our lives. I was excited to discover  a cyber buddy Peggy Frezon also has a story A Little Sister for Hudson in the book. Her book Dieting with my Dog is available for pre-order. We initially connected via Twitter. She is @peggyfrezon.

I have two asides here. One — it doesn't hurt to pick up topics from anthologies or contests. If you submit your writing, you might get published. Two — connect with people on Twitter. You can make real connections.

I'm a dog person, so I'm glad my story I'm Not Crazy, I Just Have a Dog was published.

Here's Eddie. He's a poodle, Pomeranian mix. He looks peaceful, but many days he's quite barky.
I admit it was fun to get copies of the book delivered to my door. I want to have that scene replayed at the Jensen household one day for my memoir-in-progress. For now, I'll enjoy having a story published in a book that's in a bookstore.

9 comments:

  1. Awww. Eddie's adorable. I think anthologies are one of the best ways for a new writer to get published. Chicken Soup is one of the best, so the credit looks good in any query. And, as you said, "you can find it in bookstores," is an awesome thing to be able to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anne. I enjoyed finding your blog this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable mix Eddie is for sure!
    Congrats! Your story is great, and thanks for mentioning mine as well. I've been in more than a dozen Chicken Soups--there is a Chicken Soup for the Soul for just about any interest, so you'll never run out of opportunities to submit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true about submission opportunities Peggy. I can't wait to read your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! That's really cool. I'll have to go check that out. I love dogs. I have an Australian Shepherd who thinks she's a person. We went on vacation for 11 days and left her at a boarders. When we went to pick her up, she ran out the door, jumped in our van, and has had a smile on her face ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your publication! I can't wait to read your story. Your dog is adorable. :-) Count me as your newest follower. If you find a minute, please visit my blog and consider following, as well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Angela and Pam. @Pam after reading your blog, I don't know how you had time to stop by. @Angela, I'm sure your dog is happy to be reunited with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacy, this is so cool. I keep thinking of writing for magazines or anthologies, but never doing anything about it. Your success is the kick I need. I hadn't heard of Chicken Soup for the Soul, so I am glad of your endorsement and Anne's. Congrats! Eddie looks pretty pleased too, in this pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, Good luck. It never hurts to try to submit. And Eddie always looks very pleased.

      Delete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.