Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I'm struggling with a first draft

This week I continue to struggle to create a first draft — shitty or otherwise for a picture book retreat in July. I must submit my manuscript for the small group work by the end of the week.
I'm flailing around with this, but am pushing through to get something to submit. A few weeks ago,  I had a blank page. Today, I have two pages with a variety of words that need a tweak here and there.

While it may not be great, it is a beginning. The retreat has pushed me to do something, which is a start.

I thought this might be a good time to share a video On Writing a Novel by James Andrew Wilson.




I never find this stuff on my own. It was posted on Anne Mulligan's Southern-fried Musings blog.  I'm a Georgia native, so it makes me homesick for Georgia when a writer says: "I'm an official Georgia peach. Go Dawgs!" Plus she has a great post up about God's wonderful sense of humor.

Back to my first draft (that really is about the 10th version), but you know what I mean.

2 comments:

  1. Is it the SCBWI retreat that you're attending? I'm thrilled that you get to go work on your writing! Keep up the good work--deadlines definitely have a positive effect.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Debbie I'm going to the SCBWI retreat. I decided I should quit talking about a picture book idea and write it. I look forward to learning a lot (and working hard) at the retreat.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.