Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I survived: Story a Day Challenge


I survived.

It's June 1.

I wrote A Story A Day in May.

I decided to sign up for the challenge to push myself to explore a few topics for the memoir-in-progress.

I did not write full length stories every day. Instead, I wrote the six-more-or-less word variety of stories.

I have my reasons:
  • After I committed to this challenge, I signed up for a picture book retreat, which required a manuscript.
  • I didn't have a manuscript, so I had to research and write one.
  • I tried to participate in the NaNoWriMo once. The novel fell apart (or maybe it was me under the throw up phase of pregnancy, a stint as a federal juror and a kitchen remodel.) I ate lots of Fruit Loops and had a beautiful kitchen that November, but no finished novel.
  • May is a busy month for our family. We had Mother's Day, our son's first birthday, my 40th birthday and our wedding anniversary. Yes. All in one month. My husband is a brave, wonderful man.
Since I knew life activities might derail me, I made other plans. To participate and to be standing at the end of the month, I decided to write short.

Every morning, I grabbed the iPhone and tapped out six-word sentences. I used my chapter titles as a guide, but allowed myself to go off topic.

On Tuesday, I gathered the words from those electronic notes. I have a little more than 1,300 words. I will create a story from them. If I can do the editing in one day, it will certainly be my Thankful Thursday post.

If you are interested in the A Story a Day challenge, visit the website.

2 comments:

  1. You stuck with it, and have the foundation to build on. Good for you! Can't wait to see what happens next.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debbie. Nap time wasn't long enough to edit it to my liking. I will share it next week.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.