Monday, August 29, 2011

Now where is my Twitter DNA?

I made a bit of a change this week.

I shed my Twitter handle @StacyWrites for my name.

My new Twitter handle is @StacySJensen. If you followed me before, you still do. I just appear with my new handle in your list.

If you aren't on Twitter or don't really know how to use it, the Writer Unboxed blog via @NinaBadzin  has answers to your questions. She shared two posts about The Art & Science of Twitter. If you struggle to use Twitter, take a moment to read the posts.


Badzin mentions you shouldn't go for cuteness or anonymity when choosing your Twitter handle. Two years ago, I picked a name that expressed what I do since my first and last names were taken. Honestly, I didn't know what Twitter was when I joined. Dropping the @StacyWrites made me feel like an adult shedding a beloved nickname. It was time to grow up. 

I enjoy connecting with people through Twitter. I like the challenge of crafting a message in 140 characters. The process helps me edit and stay focused. 

My personal take away from Badzin's posts? I need to:


  • Put people I follow into lists. So I can more easily follow them. Badzin explains lists more  here
  • Utilize a program to spread out my Tweets. She mentions HootSuite, Tweetdeck or Ubersocial. I'm referring back to this post by Alexis Grant on the difference between Tweetdeck and Hootsuite before I make my decision. Why use a program? To avoid multiple tweets in a few minutes and then no tweets at all. I tend to Tweet in bursts and that might tick some followers off. 
  • Turn off notifications. Why bother with the emails when I can check notices when I'm on Twitter. I may keep the new follower notices, just to help me make sure I don't miss them.
One thing Badzin's posts don't mention is where your Twitter handle ends up on the Internet. After I changed my Twitter name, I made a list of places to check, change and retype my Twitter name. 

As I began this post, I remembered the link on my contact page. Oh, my. I don't want my cyber DNA to leave a broken link. 

How do you use Twitter? Be sure to leave your Twitter handle in your comment.

25 comments:

  1. I'm still learning about Twitter and love posts that explain how to better utilize it. I altered my Twitter handle by capitalizing the J in my name: Jenemcfadden

    ReplyDelete
  2. My twitter link didn't work, so I'm not sure how to leave my twitter handle here unless it's what I listed above...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I just joined the group you are in for blogging writers and I am now following you on twitter (@djkirkby).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, I'm not sure Blogger allows for a link in the comments. Hopefully folks will look you up. Thanks for stopping by DJ and the follow. I'm about to follow you back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid of twitter and haven't tried it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susanna, You might want to save the links to Badzin's posts for future use when you decide to do it. Twitter requires interaction, so it is more time consuming than FB for me. I've made several meaningful Social Media connections there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stacy, Just followed you here, and followed D.J. Kirkby from here. I am now following you both on twitter and will follow your blogs. Both excellent. Thank you! Paula S. Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog today. Looking forward to reading your blog posts :) Please come back to mine on Thursday when I will be announcing the launch of an exciting competition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @LyndaRYoung

    I had to change my twitter name as well because I started with a silly name. And I too had to run around and fix all the links. Amusing. At least it was relatively easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by DJ. I'll do that.
    Lynda, True. It was an easy fix.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Stacy, for the links. I'm working on improving my Twitter education, and posts like these help. I didn't want to use up too many characters with my Twitter name, so I settled for @DebbieMaxAllen. It still might be too long.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the info, Stacy. I love Twitter, but I know I'm not as Twitter-savvy as I could be. Will be checking out the posts you recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie, I thought about you when I read the posts. :)
    And, Beth thanks for stopping by. Beth forgot
    her Twitter handle: It's @bethvogt

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your new handle! I'm just @brookerousseau on Twitter, as I am everywhere else. Definitely not cutesy, but not so creative either. Hopefully it at least makes me easy to find.

    ReplyDelete
  15. True Brooke. It makes you easy to find on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Inner and outer PB sounds intriguing. Looking forward to following.

    @JoannaMarple

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Joanna for stopping by and the follow on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm brand new to both blogging and Facebook. Twitter isn't even a blip on my radar at this point. Maybe someday. . .

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know InLuvWithWords. It probably shouldn't be. I say do what you can, so you don't feel overwhelmed by it. Blogging and Facebook can keep you busy enough.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this post! I'm new to Twitter, so the link (and your input) helped a lot. My Twitter handle is @CassandraStubbs, and we're already following each other. :)

    By the way, check my blog for some awards you've won!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a little late reading this. Found you on the platform campaign. This is great information for a Twitter newbie like me. I especially need to start organizing those I follow -- and remember to tweet a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Julie, Glad you found the information useful. I'm in a constant state of organization on Twitter, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been meaning to change my Twitter handle too. I'm glad to know it was easy and seamless (and that you don't have to get everyone to re-follow you)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.