Thursday, August 18, 2011

Thankful Thursday: @WriteSuccess

Do you ever look for contests or places to submit your work? I do, because deadlines keep me motivated to submit. I use several sites and groups to find organizations or publications accepting work.

For contests, I primarily go to Mary Anne Hahn at Write Success.

I get a weekly email on writing contest news. I sort through the list and see if anything interests me. Some week several contests jump out at me.

A recent post included this contest:

2011 Family Circle Fiction ContestAuthors are asked to submit an original fiction short story of no more than 2,500 words.
Prizes: 1st: $750; 2nd & 3rd: $250. Winners receive prize packages including mediabistro.com memberships.
Deadline: September 16, 2011
Fees: None
http://tinyurl.com/3hnrpr8
Mary Anne lists a wide variety of contests — here and abroad. According to her About WriteSuccess page, her WriteSuccess site has an audience in the U.S., Canada, France, the UK and Australia.

When submitting your work, be sure to read the contest rules. Some have fees. Others don't. Some want rights for a one time use. Others ask for a lot more. If you aren't comfortable with a contest's rule, go with your gut and don't submit.

If you aren't interested in contests, the list might spark a new story idea. I randomly will write short, short stories about an organization or topic I find through this list.

Mary Anne is on Twitter at @WriteSuccess. Her Twitter bio also mentions she is founder of the International Association of Professional Ghost Writers.

What's your go-to list for contests or publications seeking submissions?




7 comments:

  1. What a great resource! I also like C. Hope Clark's Funds for Writers newsletter.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Debbie. C. Hope Clark's newsletters are great. I've been reading her blog more than her newsletters lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of that site before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacy--

    What a wonderful surprise and endorsement! I'm thankful for you as well. :-)

    Here's to YOUR wrting success!

    Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great resource. I'm always on the look-out for this type of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Anne, Thanks for doing all the work of sharing the list.
    Lynda, I always find a market or two to check out. If not this year, I save it for a future contest.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.