Monday, September 5, 2011

Happy Labor Day

I hope you are enjoying your Labor Day.

I wanted to participate in Cynthia of Random Thoughts' Labor Day Blog Fest, but forgot to sign up. She encouraged people to participate, so here I go.

Cynthia asked us to post a picture of the U.S. Flag:



My State Flag:
I don't live in Texas anymore, but I love this flag. I live in Colorado. The flag looks like a copyright symbol.

And, a list of five U.S. Historical sites I've visited:


1. I visited the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site one year while home from colledge for the MLK holiday. The site includes the Ebenezer Church and the King Center

2. Hubby and I visited Fort Davis Texas. The old frontier post "is one of the best surviving examples of an Indian Wars' frontier military post in the Southwest." You can find info here on the nps.gov site.

3. On my first trip to Texas, (before Hubby was Hubby) we visited the Alamo. It's on the National Historic Landmarks Program. San Antonio's modern skyline can be distracting, but the gravity of the fight that took place there is felt. We also visited John Wayne's Alamo movie set since we lived 30 minutes away.
It looks small compared to the modern buildings.


4. I visited Fort Pulaski National Monument in Savannah, Ga. while in high school. According to the nps.gov site, the brick fort was a turning point in military history. The brick fort was no match for Union rifled cannons.

5. I first visited Mount Rushmore — a national memorial — in 2007. I later visited in 2008 after my wedding in nearby Custer. We'll take our son for his first visit this month.

Mount Rushmore is awesome.
Hope you have a fun Labor Day. The United States Department of Labor's site says the day "constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country."

So, what historic sites have you visited or you would like to visit?

15 comments:

  1. I'd love to visit Mount Rushmore. It really does look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda, I always get sucked into the historical displays on the amount of work and human sacrifice it took to create. Hope you get to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Mount Rushmore as a child, and then to Stone Mountain in GA as an adult. Both are awe-inspiring, so different, each celebrating men who were amazing in their own ways. When will someone make a giant stone carving with women? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stacy - Amazing places you have been. I have not visited any of these. Although, I have traveled, I have only visited a few historical places: Washington, DC, Williamsburg, Virginia, Mayflower II and Plymoth Plantation, The Constitution and the Freedom Trail, Skagway Historic District in Alaska, Southern Planations in Louisiana and the Easter Uprising at the GPO in Dublin, Ireland. That is pretty much all I can think of right now.

    Thank you for your vote on my story, I really appreciate it. I am such a fan of your writings, I can't wait to read yours. - Thanks again, Maeve

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Susanna - very true. I think I've been to Stone Mountain as a kid. I grew up in Georgia.
    @Maeve - A great list. I've also visited Boston area sites and DC. Alaska is so cool. No problem. The judging was tough. I began working on a children's piece, but got sidetracked when I received my judge assignments. I did finish a 78-word entry for the Esquire contest on Monday. I love word limits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to the Alamo last summer on my first ever trip to Texas. Awe-inspiring! I'd love to go to Mount Rushmore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Brooke. It's pretty neat. My niece didn't appreciate it, but one day I think she will.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool sites. I really love the Alamo and Mount Rushmore. There are so many great places to go in America. Funny to talk about vacation spots on a day that honors work! Of course, we couldn't take all those lovely vacations if we didn't work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes @Doralynn. I like to think of work as the means to a vacation. Currently, I'm my toddler son's CEO. I'm still trying to teach him to hug and I get daily vacations during naptime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome post! I really want to visit Texas and Mount Rushmore one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @April We'll have to return to Texas, since our son was born there. One day, when he's older.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been to the Alamo too. I really enjoyed it. I've also been to all the historic places in Philadelphia as we lived there for two years. Hoping to get to Mt. Rushmore soon. I'm a fellow campaigner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've certainly been around! We've never made it to Mount Rushmore, though we've been here sixteen years.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stacy, this is a great list of places to visit! I hope to get to Mt. Rushmore in a near future.

    I'm a fellow Campaigner. Just stopping by to say "hi". I was looking for your 1st Challenge entry but it's not here yet. Let me know when you post it. Thanks :-)
    I'm #76 on the 1st Challenge list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @kmckendry - I would love to visit Philadelphia sites.
    @Debbie - if you can make it to Custer, it's a fun trip. There's a bakery there with cinnamon buns the size of my head. I love that!
    @Angela - Thanks for stopping by. I saw your Tweet this morning. I judged some of the early ones, so I'm going to just post my story later. I roll like that — late. I'll pop over to yours. I'm loving all these stories.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.