Monday, October 24, 2011

I'm signing up for the PiBoIdMo challenge

Today, I'm signing up to participate in the November Picture Book Idea Month Challenge or PiBoIdMo. I know the PiBoIdMo looks different, but I'm sure NaNoWriMo looked funny in those early days of that novel challenge too.

The challenge to create a picture book came from picture book author Tara Lazar.  This post at Writing for Kids (While Raising Them) highlights guest bloggers on her site and agents involved in the 2011 challenge.

Here's a snippet from Tara Lazar's post about PiBoIdMo:

The concept is to create 30 picture book ideas in 30 days. You don’t have to write a manuscript. You don’t need potential best-seller ideas.
You might think of a clever title. Or a name for a character. Or just a silly thing like “purple polka-dot pony.” The object is to heighten your picture-book-idea-generating senses. Ideas may build upon other ideas and your list of potential stories will grow stronger as the days pass. By the end of the month, you’ll have a file of ideas to help inspire you throughout the year.
I want to use the challenge to learn more about the craft of picture books and allow myself to focus on ideas. While I participate in the challenge, I am reading Ann Whitford Paul's book Writing Picture Books:  A Hands-On Guide from Story Creation to Publication.

So this blog will be all about picture books in November. I'm rounding up guest bloggers. I'm sorting through pictures for a photo writing prompt. I'll use my Thankful Thursday posts to highlight picture book resources — websites, authors and books.

I hope to learn and write a lot in November. While I won't have a novel by the 30th, I hope to have a workable picture book idea.

And, I can't forget my work-in-progress today — My 100-word entry for Susanna Leonard Hill's Halloweensie Contest.

The rules are:

  • Write a 100-word story for children using the words boo!, candied apple and jack o'lantern. It can be funny or scary in poetry or prose. 
  • Post the story on your blog on Oct. 31. Link your entry on Susanna's site.
  • The winning entry will receive a copy of Haunted Party written and illustrated by Iza Trapani.
What are you working on today? Are you participating in a November writing challenge?


 

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great challenge. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like fun, though not my cup of tea. I may have some cute pictures for prompts if you'd like me to send them to you (grandchildren). I'll gather a few if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to do PiBoIdMo too! I did it last year and it was awesome. I ended up with 45 ideas - most of which didn't pan out...yet!... but it's nice to have them all!

    I'm really looking forward to your whole month of picture book posts! So nice to have a fellow in this area :)

    Thanks for the Halloweensie Contest shout out, too. I hope we get lots of entries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Isis.
    Karen - I'll be in touch.
    Susanna - Wow. 45. That's great. I'm working on my entry today ... Candied Apple has me stumped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hadn't heard of this! This is one of the reasons I like to follow your blog--I find out some interesting things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must get on with my Halloweensie post. What a busy week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth - I've lurked around on the Internet a lot to find out some of these things.
    Catherine - Yes. A very busy week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew *someone* would come up with a challenge for PB writers! Glad to know it's happening.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stacy,
    Thanks fro dropping past my blog.
    We'll be PiBoIdMo buddies.
    Not sure whether I'll tackle NaNoWriMo yet!
    All the best for November!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not doing the Halloweensie thing, but considered it. Way too much going on.

    I am doing PiBoidMo though. What fun! And I expect to get some really usable ideas.

    I'm working on my picture book that I have been trying to get to my CP for over a week!

    *waving*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie, I think there's a picture book week challenge in May too. The fun continues.
    House of Prowse- I look forward to the PiBoIdMo. Good luck to you in November.
    Robyn- Good luck getting that PB to your CP.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my gosh! That sounds like such a fabulous idea! I hope you love it and have tons of fun! I don't know how you couldn't. Seriously awesome idea.

    I'm participating in a November revising challenge. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peggy: I read your post about revising earlier. I have a tough time commenting from my phone sometimes. I think that's a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I joined in last year and had so much fun. I'm off to sign up again this year. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an awesome challenge, Stacy! If I was a picture book author, I would definitely want to participate too. Good luck -- I would love to hear about your progress. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I reluctantly signed up as I wasn't sure I could take on another thing. But, it sounds like fun!
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Angela- Thanks. Also for letting me know the #PiBoIdMo mascot wasn't eating my face anymore on Twitter. Now, I know why I've never added a Twitter Ribbon before this.
    Patricia - Good you have joined in for the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll be glad to hang out with you there too! I love PiBoIdMo. I'm excited you're going to be focusing on PBs this month on your blog. I'll be ready with pen and paper to take notes (the old-fashioned way)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Julie - I'm glad you are willing to help me focus on PBs.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.