Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Our Stories

Enzo and me at the Our Stories Retreat.
Our Stories. We love to hear them, tell them and write them down. When I heard our church was having a cross generational retreat about Our Stories, I had to know more.

Our church Family and Faith Formation Director Mary Stoneback organized a fun weekend for everyone at the Rainbow Trail Lutheran Camp in Hillside, Colorado.

As a group:
  • We studied Leviticus 23 and Ruth.
  • We did team building exercises — think logs, webs and wooden platforms. 
  • We talked about writing our own stories. 
  • We ate.
  • We sat around campfires and ate S'mores. (Well, I didn't participate in this, because Enzo always wants to dive into the fire).
  • We performed. Skits are mandatory at camp, right?
Mary let me share my story about my late husband Jimmy. I shared instances where God was there — even when I didn't see it right away. I also provided tips on how to write a personal story and writing prompts.

As a group, we wrote a six-word memoir about our faith or any other topic. We sort of winged it as some people found six words too restrictive. Ah, we live and learn.

My six-word story:  I'm still a work in progress.

For me, the retreat also showed another way God nudges me along. The story part of the retreat attracted me to learn more and get involved. After attending, I know Enzo and I can survive fireplaces, woods and rocks in the wilderness together. And, I know our church family will give me a helping hand with Enzo when I need one. So, we'll likely attend a future retreat no matter what the topic.

Have you ever written a six-word memoir? Why not try today and leave it in a comment?

9 comments:

  1. The retreat sounds like it was wonderful! Glad you and Enzo got so much out of it. And what a challenge to write a memoir in 6 words! (I don't think I could do anything in 6 words!) I love yours. I'll have to think about mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an intriguing post, Stacy. You may be a work in progress, but you are also courageous.
    A six word memoir? Off the top of my head?
    Abandoning the law; lavished in grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful retreat, Stacy. I love your six-word memoir. I know I've done this exercise before, but I can't think of what mine was. Hmmm, maybe it's time for a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Susanna - Thanks. I should have shared a link to some better examples. http://www.smithmag.net/sixwords/ I enjoy reading what people come up with.
    @Beth - Love yours.
    @Inluvwithwords - That's the beauty, I think of the six-word or a memoir in general. Both change as we live and change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad Stacy, I had no idea. You two look a really cute little family. Glad you had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Catherine, I may have been a bit confusing. My late husband Jimmy died six years ago in November — the subject of the Memoir in Progress. I remarried several years ago to my Hubby (as I call him most times here), who is Enzo's dad. Hubby wasn't able to attend the retreat. Hope that helps. (Here's a link to a story I wrote for a challenge about Jimmy http://stacysjensen.blogspot.com/2011/06/story-day-in-may-challenge-my-story.html.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a wonderful retreat! Your baby is absolutely adorable! I love the idea of a 6-word memoir. I've never tried it before, so I'll have to think on it! I thought yours was perfect...I want to adopt it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fabulous retreat! So glad you got to go.

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.