Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thankful Thursday: Susanna Leonard Hill

Children's author Susanna Leonard Hill offers more than just books for writers and parents. She offers a lot of help and virtual donuts too.

On her blog Susanna Leonard Hill - A children's author's eye view of writing and life, she shares resources with parents, teachers, librarians and other writers.

Here you take another link to Activities & Resources. It sends you to the Classroom Resources page on her website at www.susannahill.com.

There are guides for six of Susanna's books with loads of activities. I'll have to remember these during snow days when my son gets older.

For writers, Susanna has tons of helpful posts with working writers and illustrators.

Would You Read It?
I've found the Would You Read It? series very educational. Pitches typically appear on Wednesday, but this week due to Mother Nature it's a day late. Brave writers submit pitches for their children's book. Blog readers give a yes, no or maybe with suggestions on how that opinion might change.

I don't know anything about children's book pitches, but am learning a lot. One day, I might even submit one.

If you are participating in Picture Book Idea Month, follow Susanna's blog. One of those ideas might turn into a story and a pitch. When you need feedback, the Would You Read It series is a great place to get it.

Susanna's books are fun. Can't Sleep Without Sheep is brilliant.

Susanna has created a wonderful community on her blog of resources and support for readers, parents, librarians and writers. Stop by, I think you feel right at home.



16 comments:

  1. This is a great way for children's book writers to get involved in the November write-a-book movement. Susanna's blog is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy, thank you so much for this lovely post! You are so sweet, and you have made my return to the blogosphere so much nicer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just becomming more familiar with Susanna's books and am very impressed. Having activity resources for teachers is a bonus for teachers and kids. No wonder she does so many school visits. Like her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll definitely check out her resources!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to see you feature Susanna and her lovely blog. She is a treasure for us kidlit folks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea Stacy! Susanna is lovely, her blog is super and her books are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are all so nice! :) And all wonderful writers yourselves, with fantastic blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Susanna - Just wanted to say thanks and share the wonderful resources you have at your blog and on the web.
    @Karen - the beauty of the would you pitch series is that it really helps writers of any genre. Sure there might be talking food characters, but the stakes and story have to be solid for people to want to read it.
    @Debbie - Susanna's resources will be handy for me when my toddler gets older.
    @Julie @Catherine @Patricia - Glad we all met via the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree! Susanna and her blog are wonderful and something to aspire to. Thanks Stacy for another great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I met Susanna through the authors platform and am glad I did. I'm also glad you show cased her on your blog, Stacy. I love her web site. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, Stacy--You won the manuscript critique! Contact me through my profile, and we'll talk. Congratulations!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Debbie. I sent you a message. For anyone who runs across this later, Debbie did a giveaway to help an adoptive family get their Jacob. Here's a link to her post: http://writingwhilethericeboils.blogspot.com/2011/10/monday-give-child-treat-today-and-enter.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for spreading the word!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Stacy,
    That's what I get for being lax about reading my emails and the blogs I subscribe to like yours.

    What a wonderful post about another great blogger and children's book author...thank you for lighting my way to Susanna Hill...but also to Tara who is doing the Picture book challenge in November...I think you mentioned it during the SCBWI meeting...but I didn't realize what it was all about.

    Sounds wonderful.
    I really appreciate your blog posts, Stacy...they are always informative and thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Clar- Yes. So glad I met her and got to know you better through the platform building campaign.
    @Vivian - You are too kind. I am a bit behind on reading blogs this week too.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.