Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Extra! No more capcha for me

After my post on Monday, I made a few changes.
  • No more capcha — I removed the capcha function on comments. Several commenters mentioned their dislike for it in the post. We'll see if my fear of spammers is warranted or not. I think I unchecked the correct box in Blogger to achieve this. 
  • Filters on my inbox — I added three filters to my gmail inbox. I'm beginning with a few to see 1) If I'm doing it correctly and 2) How this works for me. I created one filter specifically to deal with the blog I cannot unsubscribe to through regular channels. The email will go directly to my trash. We'll see if this solves my problem. 
  • A button adjustment — I moved the button to subscribe to posts via readers or Atom feeds up higher on the page. 
I also decided to make this my last Wednesday post. I really like writing three posts a week. I've been doing four recently with the Perfect Picture Book series on Fridays. So, I'll post on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays. I may randomly show up on another day, but I don't want to abuse your time. I've been writing down my goals for 2012 and it's best to commit to three posts. 

Are you ready to leave a comment to see if the dreaded capcha function is there or not? 

If the capcha has successfully been removed, you win the joy of commenting without a capcha. 

If the capcha is there, you win the opportunity to tell me about it. 

Or, you can just tell how lame I am if I think that's winning. I guess I need to revisit Laura Barnes' post about marketing a contest and see how Julie Hedlund is implementing those tips. A writer's work is never done.

Extra! Extra!: I saw this post The Art of Unsubscribing from Alexis Grant — The Traveling Writer this morning after I posted my thoughts. Alexis provides a link on creating filters for your inbox. I'm reading this to see how to improve mine.

18 comments:

  1. Yay, I was in the 'No Capcha' pool. I haven't got around to my 2012 goals yet, good for you. I still have another week of school to go and them some sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, that felt so nice I'm going to do ti again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Joanna - Double woo hoo to hear that it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm game! I'll try a comment! Let's see what happens....
    Ooh, look! No capcha! Let me know how this works out for you. I don't actually know if I have one on mine (I'll have to check again) but if I do, maybe I should remove it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really admire you for putting yourself out there - asking people for their input on your blog and its ease of commenting, and then changing things to accomodate! Way to go. It was easy this time, but I have not had problems with your blog comments before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Susanna- I will let you know. Hey, if I get lot's of spam that's a funny post or maybe a hidden PB idea. We'll see.
    @Karen - Thanks. I appreciate people stopping by, so I should make it easy.
    Anyone follow Alexis Grant: She had a post today called The Art of Unsubscribing with a link about how to create filters. I'm reading this: http://alexisgrant.com/2011/12/14/the-art-of-unsubcribing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess it's like housework for blogging? :)
    Thanks for that link to the art of unsubscribing--they are so sneaky aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took the captcha off my blog a while ago after reading something similar. I've never been spammed in my comments, though I do have a small blog. Once in a while I get a poster mainly interested in promoting themselves, but the captcha wouldn't have kept them out anyway.

    And I love using filters in my email. Life is so much simpler.

    Great job, Stacy!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, here goes.
    And I do have capcha.
    I get a lot of spammy comments.
    Not sure why, but I do.
    So for me the capcha stays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Coleen - I think that sums it up.
    @Debbie - Funny. This morning, I received two spam comments, but they were tagged as spam and did not show up on my post.
    @Beth - As I mentioned to Debbie, I received spam this morning. So, we'll see if the spam filter catches them or not.
    @Christina - Nice to be in good company.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy I must be thick. What is capcha? MY WP catches spam, but I had something slip through this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh -- do you mean those funny words those of us who aren't on blogspot have to use. If so, I didn't have have to use one then.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in the same boat as Joanna- Ah, winter break, please come soon!! Does my blog ask for capcha? I don't think it does...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's great Stacy! I couldn't even tell you if I have captcha but I do get a lot of spam I'd hate for it to get pubished. I'll try what you did one day. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Patricia - Yes the capcha is that string of letters. I should have explained that better.
    @Kelly - I don't think it does.
    @Catherine - Funny you would say that. I got spam almost immediately on your guest post. I think the spam filter is catching it. I'll keep monitoring it. Hope you have a great day too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry I brought spam with me, I'll come on my own next time lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Catherine- I believe it is the "no capcha" that filtered spam into my life, but the SPAM filter is doing its job by not publishing it. (Knocks on wood)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.