|You may see these guys a lot in 2012. See goal No. 7.|
I chose 12 items for my goal list this year:
- Deadline — I'm participating in the 12 x 12 in 2012 Challenge created by Julie Hedlund at Write Up My Life. The goal: Create 12 picture book drafts in 12 months. I'll be using ideas I jotted down during Picture Book Idea Month in November or anything that strikes my fancy. My goal is to have my new draft complete by the 12th of each month.
- Memoir — Write five pages a day, five days a week until I have the draft of my memoir-in-progress completed.
- Harry Potter — When I finish the first draft, I'm going to read the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I wrote about why I haven't read this book here. It's number seven on the link.
- Revise — After I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and maybe another book or two, I can return to my manuscript for edits and rewrites.
- Housekeeping — I will personalize my blog banner
and streamline the subscription process with buttons.The banner is sketched out. To better organize myself, I've created an editorial calendar with ideas for blog posts and hope to utilize Hootsuite more for social media too.
- Baby book — I'm like a carpenter with an unfinished house. I'm a writer with an unfinished baby book. Now, I just need to gather up those notes and tidbits of information about his first years.
- Photos — I will use a photo with every blog post. I have a stockpile of my own photos and a handful of sites to find free ones. I can do this!
- Recipes — Once a month, I will use a new recipe for a family meal.
- Submissions — I anticipate at least six submissions this year. I will keep an open mind about submissions to contests and literary magazines, but don't want to distract myself from my manuscript goal. I must write, revise, revise again and then consider submission.
- Frack — I mentioned this issue of hydraulic fracturing to obtain oil and gas deposits last year. While I would like to get involved more at a local level, I've decided county and city meetings and my baby sitting budget (zero) don't go together. There are plenty of ways to stay involved, despite my inability to attend 10 a.m. meetings. I can watch meetings on TV/online; read city, county and state regulations proposals and offer comments; and stay informed on national issues. My frack blog is not a priority, but has been a good place to store articles on the topic. It's personal research really, but who knows — maybe I'll write a fiction piece on fracking in 2013.
- Challenges —In addition to the 12 x 12 in 2012 Challenge, I'm committing to a few others this year. For a blog challenge, I'm signing up for the Blogging from A to Z Challenge in April. I'm going to do the National Picture Book Write Week or NaPiBoWriWee in May and do the Picture Book Idea Month in November.
- Read More — It's essential to improve my writing. My reading will include picture books, memoir, fiction and writing craft books. I have a pile of books on my bookshelf to be read and some bloggy friends have releases this year, so I'm not writing out a list. I'm keeping it fluid.
Update: Oh, I fixed the buttons on Jan. 1.
What are your goals for 2012?