Thursday, January 5, 2012

Thankful Thursday: Positive Parental Participation

This is why my blog's editorial calendar is fluid. I had another blog scheduled to mention today, but on Wednesday author Vivian Kirkfield gave me The Versatile Blogger Award

Vivian's blog  Positive Parental Participation is on my future calendar for a Thankful Thursday post. I guess you see where this is going — instead of sharing seven things about me, here are seven about Vivian and her blog. 


  1. Vivian and I met through the Colorado group at Bloggy Moms. I followed her blog and Twitter accounts. When she ran a special on her book, Show Me How! Build Your Child's Self-Esteem Through Reading, Crafting and Cooking (Positive Parental Participation), I snagged a copy for my Kindle. 
  2. Several weeks later, we met across the table at a local SCWBI meeting several weeks later. I'd like to say there was an immediate recognition of our Twitter avatars, but that didn't happen. It was a gradual "Hey you are ... " moment. We exchanged picture book manuscripts and feedback. She was very helpful.
  3. Vivian's about page explains her background as a parent and educator. I really like this part: I formulated a unique program that utilized children’s picture books as a valuable tool, not only for entertainment and enjoyment, but also for helping children deal with the many issues they encounter in their early years. 
  4. Her Show Me How! book is an interesting collection of picture books paired with a craft or cooking experience. It has six chapters. Each is filled with 15 or more picture books. For each story, Vivian has written a summary, provided a Positive Parental Participation note, an arts and craft project and a cooking project. I haven't read the entire book, but have skipped around checking out picture book titles and crafts. 
  5. Her posts make me think about parenting issues — Will The View and The Chew Be Replaced in 2012
  6. She shares tips like her Make-A-Meal Mondays: Child-Friendly Traveling Trail Mix post or this one on How to Create More Free Time and Save Money
  7. Vivian is very positive. I enjoyed these memories in her post: Why I LOVED the start of school
I'm grateful Vivian thought about me for this award. 

Enzo and I read a lot of picture books, but we haven't ventured into the crafting and cooking arena together. I have Vivian's book when we are ready to embark on this journey together. 

I hope you have a wonderful day!

17 comments:

  1. Nice post, Stacy. And hello, Vivian. I'm all for positive parental (and grandma) participation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivian and her blog sound terrific! Thanks for introducing her. Maybe she'll want to participate in PPBFs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for telling us about Positive Parental Participation. Ms. Kirkfiels's book looks like a great one for parents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't supportive blog friends the best? Thanks for expressing your appreciation... Something we should probably all do more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to check out her site--thanks Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Karen - yes Grandparents have all types of positive parental participation.
    @Susanna - I thought the same thing about PPBF
    @Erik - It is.
    @Kelley, @August and @Coleen - Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love books that encourage parents to interact with their children. And how wonderful we all get to meet your friend Vivian. Thanks for sharing, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you introduced me to Vivian! Her book sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in favor of reflective, positive parenting! Thanks for sharing the resource.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the award, Stacy, well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the Versatile Bloggers award. You deserve it.

    Thanks for introducing Vivian. I can''t wait to explore her blog further. Her book sounds like one I'd like to read.

    Maybe she can introduce it on Perfect Picture Book Fridays for us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howdy, Stacy!
    First of all, thank you so much for the beautiful tribute to my blog...I'm so honored...and I was supposed to be honoring you. :)
    I can't thank you enough...I think I will be connecting with so many awesome people because you did this post. I've already written a Picture Perfect Book Friday post with a link to Susannah's page and I emailed her with the info. I would LOVE to particpate in that.

    Have a wonderful weekend...hope we connect again at an SCBWI meeting down the road. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats Stacy! Thanks for introducing us to Vivian, that project is a great idea. My three year old has just become interested in baking together, so though it's not my favorite thing to do, I love experiencing it with her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stacy,
    While I'm past the picture book stage of parenting, I'm still intrigued by this post and the creativity of other moms. And since I am involved with MOPS, it's always great to have other ideas to share.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Sheila- It's always fun to do things with the kiddo.
    @campbele- The book is great.
    @Cathy - I reflect daily and regroup!
    @Nancy - Thanks.
    @Clar- She joined PPBF
    @Vivian - Thanks again for the award. I'll be seeing you at SCBWI
    @Catherine - Baking together sounds like fun. We're pretend cooking at our house.
    @Beth- Vivian has some creative ideas for parents.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations and nice twist on the award!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.