Friday, February 17, 2012

Perfect Picture Book Fridays: We All Went on Safari

Today, I've chosen We all Went on Safari:  A Counting Journey through Tanzania for Perfect Picture Book Fridays.

We All Went on Safari:  A Counting Journey Through Tanzania
Written by Laurie Krebs
Illustrated by Julia Cairns
Barefoot Books, 2003

Suitable for: Ages 5 and up

Theme/Topic: Safari, Animals, Counting-out rhymes

Opening: We all went on safari,
When the day had just begun
We spied a lonely leopard.
Arusha counted one.

Brief Synopsis: The book's summary: Arusha, Mosi, Tumpe and their friends embark on an exciting counting adventure through the grasslands of Tanzania, discovering all different kinds of African animals as they count from one to ten.

Link to Resources: The book includes a two-page spread on the animals of Tanzania, a page on the Maasai people, a page on Swahili names, a page on counting in Swahili and a fact page about Tanzania along with a map. On Laurie Krebs' website, she shares what she does on author visits. She shares pictures of the animals mentioned in the story and the children learn Swahili greetings. This lesson plan On Safari in Kenya from Homeschool Creations shows a cool 3-D scene, which could be made to represent this book.

Why I chose this book: It's a book we've checked out of the library multiple times. A sign I need to purchase my own copy. While sources say the age range is five and up, Enzo enjoys the illustrations and the rhythmic language. On the back flap of the dust cover, the author's bio says, "After a visit to Africa, Laurie wrote the original version of We All Went on Safari, as a way of introducing the world of Tanzania to her students and grandchildren." She does a wonderful job. It's entertaining and educational.

To find more picture books and resources, visit Susanna Leonard Hill's blog and look for the Perfect Picture Books page.

35 comments:

  1. I love the rhythmic langiage in this Stacy and animal books from far off places are a huge hit. It's so fascinating for readers to learn about different places and cultures. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Catherine. Animal books from far off places are a huge hit.

      Delete
  2. It looks like a gorgeous book-always good to have books that show other kinds of lives and places. Great to see about this author too and all her books about other countries. Thanks Stacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. The author several interesting books/topics on her site.

      Delete
  3. I really love books like this! I like to learn about other places especially when it is told in a fun way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice, Stacy! Learning about new cultures in a fun way is always a huge hit around here. Adding it to my ten mile list of books I wanna buy, not check out. Oh hubby...where's the credit card?????

    Happy weekend, girlfriend. I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are brave to create a buying list Robyn! Oh hubby better hide the credit card!

      Delete
  5. Hah, I saw the title and knew this would be your choice as we were discussing this book recently. I am so glad you reviewed it. It is a worthy PPPF book, Stacey! I love the front cover an all the illustrations in this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, It's like my own mini-safari. I also am going to check out the author's other titles. Lots of fun books.

      Delete
  6. We actually have this book and it's wonderful! In our school district, the kids learn about Africa in first grade, so it's a great fit with curriculum too. Awesome choice Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, Lots of fun uses for this book, especially in school.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like a great counting book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's is a fun counting one told in a unique way.

      Delete
  8. We've been playing a memory game called "I Never Forget a Face." The cards to be matched have the faces of children from all different countries, one of which is Tanzania. This would be a great extension to show my daughter more about the country!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Margaret, That sounds like a great memory game. We'll have to look that up. We've been playing memory games as part of ebook apps on the iPad. Kiddo randomly eats the flash cards, so I've been enjoying the digital versions of memory games.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds wonderful! I like every part of your description. My daughter just spent a month learning Swahili, so it would be fun to show her :) It sounds like there is a lot to look at, listen to and learn from this book. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, The book is great on many levels. I believe it would fit in with your daughter's study of Swahili very nicely.

      Delete
  11. I love Perfect Picture Book Fridays, because you all are introducing me to so many books that celebrate other cultures. We will have to find this one at our library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I love being introduced to all the authors, illustrators and stories.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful book Stacy. When I saw the counting, I knew it was an Enzo book. Such a wonderful way to learn about another country and culture. I can just feel the rhythm of Arica! Great selection!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cover art is lovely. A great recommendation, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Beautiful art. The illustrator has a wonderful website too.

      Delete
  14. Counting, animals, AND Swahili? This book has it all. :-) Can't wait to read it. Thanks, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Stacy,
    What a great choice for PPBF...beautiful book and lovely illustrations. I love counting books...little ones will really enjoy it.
    Looking forward to seeing you at the SCBWI meeting on Sunday...hope you'll be there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivian, So glad we were both at SCBWI on Sunday! Always great to see you in person and chat. Thanks again for the feedback. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  16. A book I've actually read! This is a wonderful book. I so enjoyed the learning aspect of it, interwoven so naturally with the counting. Great choice for PPBF, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, It's one of those books that makes me go - "Geez, I love this. I wish I came up with this idea."

      Delete
  17. Sounds like a wonderful book! I wonder if our library has it? I'm going to search. I've been going through the books people have shared and I'm making me a list for the library. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, It really makes my library list super focused.

      Delete
  18. Ooh, I love this selection, and the verse sounds really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am hooked with the opening lines...library here I come :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.