Saturday, April 14, 2012

M is for mustard

The map of the Grey Poupon adventures.
M is for mustard

I wanted to change my name to mustard in the second grade. It's the perfect condiment. I don't like ketchup.

On the eve of my wedding to Hubby, our rehearsal dinner turned into a family fun fest as Uncle Lois and Aunt Carl shared the story of how the Jensen family got hooked on Grey Poupon.  The mixed up uncle and aunt titles involves cross dressing and gets complicated — not because of the cross dressing in my opinion.

The condensed Grey Poupon story is that two carloads of family members were lost. I married into the family, so I won't sugarcoat it and call it exploring.

One car pulls up alongside another and a wisecracking kid says, "Pardon me. Do you have any Grey Poupon?"

Laughter ensues. A family legend is born.

Since that day, jars of Grey Poupon have traveled around the United States.

I was punked with the Grey Poupon joke when I received a Christmas tree. A map of the Grey Poupon adventures appeared at my in-law's 50th wedding anniversary along with a restaurant sized jar. Enzo received his first mystery jar last year.

The jars are always welcome at my house as I enjoy eating it as a dip or in a dish.

I ate Grey Poupon on the honeymoon. Why waste a great treat?



15 comments:

  1. Although I'm a ketchup girl myself, I love this family story and the idea of traveling mustard! What a great family legend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story about how this family legend was born! Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing fun stories like this. Tell me, does Enzo already have a taste for Grey Poupon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family legends are so much fun! Arthur would agree with you about mustard, Stacy. A nice slice of dark rye with some Grey Poupon is one of his favorite snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of Grey Poupon...and of this post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looked at that picture of you eating the mustard from the jar and just gagged. Can't stand mustard - but I love the Grey Poupon story - what a great family legend to share with everyone!

    I'm a ketchup gal, too, but not so much as my stepsister, who puts it on everything - and I do mean everything. Like ham. I hear she even gets plain yogurt and mixes it in. *yeeech*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I love mustard, and I do like GP, but we don't typically have it in the house. I like brown mustard, any brand I suppose, whatever I reach for at the store. I should probably become more discerning.

    I can't remember the name, but my wife's cousins live in Cleveland, and they sent us a bottle of the mustard they use at Cleveland Indians' games-brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of Grey Poupon before, but that was a great story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life is rife with Grey Poupon jokes. I love the stuff myself and the jokes and plays on words that evolved from the commercials. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Stacy, cute post. We haven't had a jar of Grey Poupon in our house in quite some time. I'll have to add it to the grocery list. That stuff is good!

    I used to rinse the jar out with water to make a meat marinade. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grey Poupon had to grow on me, but I loved the commercials when I was a kid! If you don't mind, I think I'm going to have to ask you about Aunt Carl and Uncle Lois this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. AWESOME post, I love it! Family fun traditons like this are always a great read when someone shares it! I am glad I am doing a random read on five blogs for todays challenge and popped on here!

    my M post! We are doing the challenge this year with my Book Bloggers Collaborative! You guys that are doing it on your own .. my hats are off to you, but next year I think I am going to do it all on my own!! We love Grey Poupon in our house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love mustard and dislike Ketchup too. But my brand is Gulden's. I'm over from A to Z so pop on by if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great family story!! I don't let ketchup either :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun post. Can't say I am a great fan of mustard -- only if it is on something. Can't believe you eat it out of a jar.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.