Thursday, June 14, 2012

Thankful Thursday: TED

Do you know TED? My color and design teacher likes TED talks, so I've been introduced to TED. My experience pre-class mostly involved a friend saying "I saw a TED talk about that." I tend to avoid videos, because I can't scan them like I can a blog post. TED is different.


TED is a nonprofit devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. I was surprised to see it began in 1984 as a conference. The talks focus on three areas:  Technology, Entertainment, Design. You can learn more about the nuts and bolts of TED here or jump into the 1100 plus talks here.

In class, we've watched a few TED talks. I really liked this one: The happy secret to better work by Shawn Achor.  I found it valuable for class, as a writer and as an individual. If you have time (or need a boost of positive energy for your work or day), please watch it. We can all use a Happiness Advantage plus the unicorn story made me happy (and sparked a picture book idea).

If you can't watch it, he mentions how gratitude (noting 3 gratitudes a day) is key to creating lasting positive change.

On the day I watched the video, I was grateful I survived my packed week — Vacation Bible School, classes and jury duty. I ended up being on standby for jury duty and did not have to show up for service.

Do you watch TED talks? What's making you happy this week? Are you grateful for three things today?

12 comments:

  1. I do watch TED talks. One of my absolute favorites is by Sir Ken Robinson. It's about education and it's absolutely brilliant. Also very funny - he could be a stand-up comedian :) Lots of things are making me happy, and I'm grateful for too many things to list - including that I don't have jury duty :) So fun that you have a unicorn-related PB!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a couple of TED talks--this one reminds me I want to watch more! This week I'm happy to be getting ready to go on vacation--one more week to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, Stacy! What a delightfully motivating speaker. So top of my gratitude list this minute is that you led me to that talk. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just as he recommended - I'm opening my email (well, comment form) and writing a note that says THANK YOU for the morning inspiration. I'm a data person, so his graphs really gave me giggles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often watch TED talks, and really enjoy their inspiration, often tackling subjects about which I know little or from a different perspective. After three days of rain on our geography field trip, I am grateful the sun came out today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't heard of Ted. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of this, and it sounds fab! Thanks Stacy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a big TED talk fan. One of my favorites is of Dr. Jill Bolte, "My Stroke of Insight." If you've not seen it, I think you'd find it fascinating. A brain scientist who observed her own stroke and observed her left hemisphere shut down -- very inspirational and insightful. Glad you suggested TED to others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watch TED talks, but not regularly. This one is a treasure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Stacey .. I'd love to watch more of the TED talks .. just don't seem to find the time ..

    I agree with Patricia T - and blogged about Jill Bolte Taylor three years ago .. and the Ken Robinson one on education ..

    They're brilliant .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I need to get on the bandwagon. Thanks for letting me know about this!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is enabled. This blog is now maintained at
stacysjensen.com.